Thursday, February 13, 2014

Everyday Marinara Sauce

My family loves pasta, especially marinara sauce. I adapted this recipe from The Best of Clean Eating 2 Cookbook. I use it for spaghetti and meatballs, lasagna, and homemade pizza. My family has no idea how much vegetables are in it.

Everyday Marinara Sauce
5 cups jarred diced tomatoes
1 TBSP olive oil
4 cloves garlic
1 medium white onion
2 cups carrots, grated
2 cups celery, diced
1 TBSP tomato paste
2 sprigs fresh oregano
8 basil leaves
1 TBSP honey
sea salt and pepper to taste.

You can add just about any vegetables-mushrooms, pumpkin, zucchini, or peppers to spice it up. I use the above recipe as my base and then add in other vegetables that I have on hand. 

Put all the ingredients in slow cooker and simmer for 4-6 hours. Puree mixture with hand blender or in a food processor until smooth. Makes about 6 cups.

No comments:

Post a Comment