Thursday, March 13, 2014

Running: My Story

I began running in college.  My BFF and roommate, Kim, was, and still is, a runner.  I ran a few times with her, but I really didn't like it.   I was the typical college freshman who ended up gaining 15 pounds that first year and a half.  I didn't really feel very good about myself.  I didn't date very much, I felt fat and alone.

When I returned back for the spring semester of my sophomore year, I was determined to lose the weight.  I no longer lived with Kim, but because of her influence I decided that I would start to run.  I started out by setting a goal to run from one light pole to the next and then take a walk break.  I ran down the same road every day because it was flat and had a good shoulder.  Each time I ran I set a goal to run a little bit farther and walk a little bit less.  I was able to lose the weight that I had gained and I also gained confidence.

It wasn't until after the birth of my daughter that I really started to learn about running.  My friend, Tara, convinced me to run my first half marathon.  The only other race I had ever done was a 5K and I about died.  She had already done several marathons and half marathons and she can be very persuasive, so she talked me into doing it (we have nicknamed her Ju-wanna, because every conversation with her starts with "Do you wanna...).  We ended up having so much fun training and running together.

After the half marathon, she tried to talk me into doing a full marathon and my response was NEVER!!!  Well, Never say Never!  Here I am getting ready to train for my 5th marathon.

I love to run.  I love to be outdoors.  I even love to run alone sometimes.  It is my therapy.  I like listening to music and being alone in my head.   I do tend to be an angry runner though.  I don't know why, but I have flipped off and swore at a few people driving cars.  I'm just crazy like that.

I have had a lot of people tell me that they hate running.  Unless they have a medical issue that prevents them from running, I tell them that it's because they are doing it wrong.  Harsh, right.  Think about it.  Let's say that you wake up one morning and you think- "Hey I'm going to run today.  That lady down the road runs all the time and if she can do it so can I."  So you lace up your old tennis shoes, throw on some shorts and a t-shirt and you head out the door.

About 3 houses down you feel pretty good, so you try to run as fast as you can.  In about 2 minutes you have a side ache, sore muscles, your feet hurt and you can't breathe.  Why???  First of all, you don't have the right shoes  Second, you didn't warm up.  Third, you haven't run in how long?

In this scenario you are only setting yourself up for failure.

Here are some tips for success:

1.  The most important thing to do before you start to run is buy a good pair of shoes.  Plan on these shoes costing you at least $100.  My favorite running shoe right now is the Adidas Boost.  It cost $150, but it is supposed to last for 1500 miles.  Most running shoes only last 500 miles.  It is like running on a little cloud.  Well, compared to my heels.

Go to a RUNNING STORE, this is a must.  They will record you running on a treadmill to see if you have a neutral, over, or under-pronation of your foot while running.  This will help them decide which type of shoe to have you try on.

The goal of a running shoe is not to notice you are wearing a shoe, if possible.  For instance, when I put on any of the Brooks brand shoe, I feel pressure in my arch.  I don't feel that with Adidas, Pearl Izumi, or Asics.

When I go running shoe shopping, I try on about 10 pairs.  I run with them on the treadmill, walk around the store and compare them with a different shoe on each foot.  It is quite the process, but you will not regret getting the right shoe.

2.  I like to walk or jog slowly for about 5-10 minutes before I start to run.  Especially if I just got out of bed and threw on my running gear.  If it's your first time exercising in quite some time, warm up for even longer.  After you warm up, do some stretches.

3.  Take it slow.  Pick a goal like I did with the light poles.  Or you can set a timer so that you run for 30 seconds and walk for a minute.  Do this for the next 2 or 3 runs and then increase the running time and decrease the walking time.  There are some really great beginner running books that explain how to advance from a non-runner to a runner in a few months.  Here's an example of the  "Couch Potato to 5K" program.

No comments:

Post a Comment