Thursday, March 13, 2014

Start to Finish - Step 2: Gear up!




It has taken me several years to acquire all of my running gear and there is always something else that I want.
Here are some of my must haves:







Shoes: I have already blogged about how to pick the best running shoe for you.  Shoes are the most expensive item you will purchase as a runner.  I like to have at least 3 pairs that I rotate through.  1 for speedwork (these are lighter), 1 for long runs (more cushioned), 1 for the other runs (usually a pair that is on the brink of being worn out).

Socks:  Socks are just as important as running shoes.  Make sure that you purchase RUNNING SOCKS.  There are tons of different brands to choose from.  Right now, my favorite is WrightBrothers, but I also wear SmartWool  too.  I'm pickier when I am running long distances.  Find something that is anti-chaffing and anti-blister.  I would suggest buying 1 pair of a few brands to see what you like best.  They are usually about $10-15 per pair, but not having blisters is so worth it.

Tops:  The goal with all clothing is comfort, breath-ability,  and anti-chaffing.  I'm a little bit less picky with my tops though.  I prefer tanktops, but I will sometimes wear a comfy t-shirt.  I like to layer, layer, layer in the winter.  That way I can strip them off when I get warm and tie it around my waist.
Wear a thin synthetic wicking layer next to your skin
if <50 degrees wear a tight weave layer on top
if <30 degrees I will add a long-sleeve top

Capri length pants:  These are not a must.  I usually wear these when it's about 50-60 degrees outside.  Since I live in Idaho, it is usually either hot (so I wear shorts) or cold (so I wear pants).  Most of my capri length running pants I also use for classes at the gym.  

Pants:  I have everything from thin tights to insulated pants.  My favorite pair are the ugliest, but they have pockets and keep me warm when the temp is under 30.  If you are going to be running in the cold weather, plan ahead and buy pants when they go on sale in the late winter and early spring.
  

Shorts:  I have a 2 pairs of running shorts that are about 8 years old.  I love them both so much.  I actually just worn one of them to run Pocatello's 1/2 marathon last year and I had worn them when I ran my first 1/2.  I have bought about 6 other pairs since then, but I keep going back to the old ones.  I know that I won't end up chaffing and that they won't crawl up where they aren't supposed to.  If you buy a good brand- I like Brooks, Nike, Pearl Izumi brands- and you take good care of them, they will last you a long time.

Hats, headbands, gloves or mittens:  My ears, fingers and toes are usually the coldest on runs.  I have several different options.  Just remember to always dress like it's about 10 degrees cooler than the thermometer says .  You might be a little bit cold at first, but you will warm up quickly.  I often end up with gloves and headbands stuffed in my waist band!  Since I have short hair, I like to wear a cap in the summer to keep my hair and sweat out of my eyes.

Sports bra:  get a high quality bra.  Lots of reasons here:  the girls deserve respect, you DO NOT want chafing, comfort, support!
Jackets:  I have a few jackets, but I prefer to just layer my tops.  Waterproof and windproof are good for inclement weather.  I actually like running in the snow.  The rain, not so much.  

GPS watch (or app on smartphone):   I love my Garmin!  I have been running with one for so long, that I go a little bit nuts without it.  I also have used the MapMyRun app on my IPhone and it's pretty good too.  I quit using it because I got sweat in my old phone and they are expensive to replace!!!  I use it to keep track of my pace and make sure that I'm hitting my goals.  There are lots of options to pick from.  I recommend that you wait until you have ran for at least 6 months, or even better a year, before you worry about pace.  

Ipod:  I have to have music or listen to a book when I run.
Fuel Belt:  These are great for carrying water, Gu, keys, snacks, cell phone, etc. for long runs.  However, I don't recommend wearing one in a race.

Mascara:  I wear waterproof mascara in the summer because it keeps sweat out of my eyes!
Body Glide is the BOMB!!!  I will NEVER run a marathon without it.  It's the best stuff for preventing chafing-EVER.  I put it along my bra line, under my arm pits, between my thighs.

No comments:

Post a Comment