Friday, June 21, 2013

Lessons Learned

This week we finished up the 6 Figures Challenge.  I met with my trainer, Evelyn, this morning for my final measurements.  I was terrified to find out my results.  I already knew from my scale and from how my pants were fitting, that the changes would be minimal  The Challenge was 16 weeks long and for the first 8 weeks I attempted to tighten up my diet, but I just couldn't wrap my head around it.  Finally, Mike put his foot down and told me that I needed to quit obsessing about food and just train for the marathon.  I was also worried that my body fat % would be up because I have been so stressed out lately and I tend to be a stress eater. So when she did the measurements this morning I was in total shock and awe that I actually lost 2% body fat. Seriously?!?!?!  The crazy thing is that it was all from my thighs! WHAT!!!!  Evelyn said that it was because I had been focusing on my running, but not nutrition.  I am so relieved that I dropped body fat, but I need to still lose quite a bit from my upper body.

So what lessons did I learn?

Lesson #1) Don't give up.  Even though I haven't been focusing on calorie depletion, I have still been making the best choices possible for my nutrition.  Everyday I made sure that I drink a gallon of water, eat 120 grams of protein, and at least 6 servings of fruits and vegetables, limit my starchy carbs and fats, and do weight bearing exercises at least 3 times a week.  Of course, I also run a ton.

Lesson #2) If I want to lose my mommy tummy I am going to have to quit indulging so much.  I say that with a bag of Dove Dark Chocolate calling to me from my pantry.  I have also been drinking too much pop.  Why can't I be addicted to carrot sticks?  Why do I salivate when I think about Dark chocolate and Diet Dr Pepper?

Lesson #3)  My husband and friends are sick of hearing me whine about eating too much, what I shouldn't eat,  my general obsession with food, how much I hate my mommy tummy, what I did for exercise, and what I want to do for exercise.

Lesson #4)  I shouldn't tell anyone that I have introduced to clean eating that I have been eating chocolate and drinking Diet Dr. Pepper because they will tell me that I need a clean eating intervention (and by they, I mean Sarah).   Which this just happened about 10 minutes ago and yes, I agree.  Consider this my intervention.  NO MORE POP!!!!  Note that I didn't mention anything about chocolate - baby steps (again).


No comments:

Post a Comment