Friday, April 25, 2014

Whole 30 week 1

Well, actually it's the end of the not really week 1 and the beginning of the REAL week one.

I "started" Whole 30 on April 17, then again on April 21 and then OFFICIALLY on April 24.  What's up with that???  Whole 30 requires you to do the program for 30 SOLID days.  There is no cheating.  If you cheat, you have to start over.  So, I cheated on Saturday night when I was dishing up my kids Easter candy.  I threw in the towel after that until Monday.  Then I ended up finding more Easter candy on Monday, Tuesday, and went to lunch and ate some of my husbands onion rings on Wednesday.

This is the deal: I wasn't PREPARED!  I had started the book, "It Starts with Food," but I hadn't read more than a few chapters.  Then I realized that I wasn't supposed to have peanuts, so I had a bit of a freak out about that and went crazy on the peanut butter jar.  I also had some bad experiences with my pre-run meals.  Egg before running=stomach pain and bloating!!!

I wasn't READY!  I was still stuck in the mindset of what I was GIVING UP, instead of focusing on what I can HAVE!  My reason for doing Whole 30: figure out a healthy relationship with food, specifically sweets.  My goal is to get to the point where I can really enjoy an occasional "treat" without feeling guilty and then sabotaging everything that I have accomplished by going on a 5 day sugar spree.

There are some "rules" with Whole30 that I don't entirely agree with.  I have been eating 5-6 small meals for several years now.  However, Whole30 requires 3 meals, with maybe one light snack.  I am not willing to budge on my meal frequency at this point.  I know that if I went longer than 3 hours between meals, I would end up in the pantry with peanut butter in one hand and Kit Kats in the other (you'll just have to believe me-that combination is delicious).   I also am going to continue to drink Shakeology daily.  I have benefited too much from it to quit it.  I guess I can be criticized for this, but I'm 36 years old so I guess that I can make these decisions.

What foods are eliminated with the Whole30?
Sugars
Sweeteners
Alcohol
Seed oils
Grains and legumes
Dairy

Foods that are encouraged:
Meat
Seafood
Eggs
Vegetables
Fruit
The Right fats

For more info: The Whole 30 Program Rules

I have also found a great community on Instagram (#whole30) and I have started a Whole 30 board on Pinterest.  I would love to have as many people join in on this adventure with me.  Like I have said many times, MISERY LOVES COMPANY!



No comments:

Post a Comment