Tuesday, April 22, 2014

Marathon Training - Speedwork

I'm finally getting excited to train for my next marathon.  I have used several different training programs in the past, but I always seem to come back to Hal Higdon's programs.  This time around I'm using his 30 week Personal Best Program.

Utah Valley Marathon 2013
This program is a combination of his Intermediate Spring and Intermediate Marathon Training Programs.  It is for people that have run 2-3 marathons in the past and are looking "to achieve peak performance."

I just started week 12, so I have 18 weeks to go.  I am really enjoying this program because it is allowing me to ease back into running.  This winter I was still recovering from PMS (post-marathon syndrome), so I only ran a few days a week for short distances.  I'm glad that I gave myself that break because now I'm ready to start over again.

Almost all of my running was done on the treadmill this winter.  I get really bored when I run on the "dreadmill," as one of my friends calls it.  One of the ways that I have been able to keep myself sane is to do speedwork.

Here is a list of my interpretation of three types of speedwork: tempo, fartlek, and pace training.


1.  Tempo:  A tempo run is commonly described as "comfortably hard."  There are several different methods out there for tempo runs, but I prefer doing it like a pyramid.

  • start with an easy jog at a warm-up pace for 1-2 miles.  You should be able to chat with your running buddy (or to yourself if running alone).
  • Gradually pick up your pace to just slower than your 10-K pace or about 80-90% of your max heart rate.  I usually take about 5-10 min to accelerate.
  • Hold this faster pace for about 3-5 min.
  • Gradually decrease your pace for another 5-10 min.
  • Cool down at a comfortable pace for another 1-2 miles.  
I think the easiest way to do this is on the treadmill.  After my mile warm up, I add on 0.2 mph every minute for a mile or two.  Then I decelerate by coming down the pyramid in the same manner.

2.  Fartlek: This is not only a fun word to say, but I think it's fun to do!  Fartlek is a Swedish word meaning "speed play."  I think that I like them the most because they are unstructured.  They alternate between moderate-to-hard effort.  This is a fun workout to do with friends. You can alternate the leader to shout out when to run hard and when to run moderate.  The goal of these runs is to keep it fun, like a game. 

Since I usually train alone, I have chosen to do my fartleks with Tabata timing.  I guess that it defeats the purpose of not being tethered to a watch, but I think it's fun so that's all that matters.  I warm up for 10 minutes with an easy run, then I set my Tabata timer for 20 seconds of work and 10 seconds of rest, repeating 8 times.   I repeat the whole process 2 more times.

3.  Pace training:  This is a run done at your goal "pace" of the race that you are training for.  I use this pace calculator to determine my pace.  For instance, my goal is to break 4 hours at my marathon in August.  I used the pace calculator and found out that I would need to run a 9 min pace to accomplish this.   A good way to do pace training, is to throw in races every 3 weeks during your training schedule.  

BEGINNERS:  If you are new to training, I would recommend doing speedwork every other week.  
INTERMEDIATE:  Increase your speedwork to once a week.

I highly recommend adding speedwork into your workouts.  However, be very careful when doing this.  Make sure that you properly warm up and cool down with each session.  Work up slowly!  For instance, when doing fartleks, only do 3 intervals to begin with.  Make your hard and moderate time equal, or even rest for longer periods of time to begin with.  Your chances of injury are much greater if you start off too fast, do too many, or don't let your body recover between speedwork sessions.  

Most importantly, make speedwork fun!!!  Include your family or friends in these workouts or make a certain playlist with all your favorite songs just for these speedwork sessions.  I don't know if I would ever be able to share my speedwork playlist with anyone.  Some of the songs on there are kind of embarrassing, but they keep me motivated.  

No comments:

Post a Comment