Monday, March 3, 2014

Sweet Sour Meatballs

I got this recipe from BeachBody's Thin Kitchen Recipe Book.  My entire family LOVED it!!!

Meatballs:
1 lb of lean ground turkey
1 cup cooked brown rice (I have used quinoa too)
1 8 oz can crushed pineapple in juice, drained
1/2 cup green onion (I have used 1 TBSP dried onion)
1 TBSP light soy sauce
1 tsp ginger (I don't really like ginger, so I didn't add it)

Combine Meatball ingredients, make into golf size balls and bake at 350 degrees for about 30 min (line baking sheet with tin foil or parchment paper for easier clean up).   I put the meatballs in my slow cooker on warm and topped with sauce.

Sauce
3/4 cup reduced sodium, low fat chicken broth
1/3 cup chili sauce (if you like A LOT of kick, try Sriracha-WOW)
3 TBSP rice vinegar
2 TBSP brown sugar
2 tsp cornstarch
1/2 tsp ground ginger

Combine sauce ingredients in a small saucepan and stir until everything is dissolved.  Place over medium heat and stir intermittently until it comes to a boil.  Reduce to low and stir for another minute until it thickens slightly.

I used Sriracha because that was the only "chili sauce" that I had and it was SPICY.  The next time I made it I added more chicken broth and less Sriracha.  That helped, but it still had a bit of a kick.  If you don't like that much spice, try a more mild chili sauce.



No comments:

Post a Comment